From Luxembourg City, I took the train to Amsterdam. It was a pleasant way to see more of Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands. Eventually, I arrived at my destination: the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Where is the Amsterdam Canal Residence located?
The Amsterdam Canal Hotel is 15 minutes from the Amsterdam Centraal Station by tram. To get to the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel from the Amsterdam Centraal Station, take tram 2 (Nieuw Sloten) from Platform B2 to Leidseplein. After arriving at Leidseplein, it is a 2-minute walk to the hotel.
If you are looking for activities in and around Amsterdam, look at the following blog posts: I can love taking a night tour of the Amsterdam Canals - everything looks different at night! The Heineken Experience is another must-do activity in Amsterdam. You cannot miss the making of Dutch Wooden Shoes when you visit Amsterdam! Taking the ferry from the Netherlands to the UK is a unique experience that I can definitely recommend. Another hotel you can consider when you are in Amsterdam is the A Train Hotel.
What is special about the Amsterdam Canal Residence?
The Amsterdam Canal Residence is located at the intersection of the Reguliersgracht and Lijnbaansgracht canals. It is in the “Pijp” area, close enough to the Albert Cuyp market and the Heineken Brewery to walk there. There are multiple restaurants in Utrechtstraat and they are popular with the locals. Both Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein, popular entertainment squares, are within easy reach from the hotel. There are also several museums near the hotel, including the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum and the Stedelijk Museum.
Checking in at the hotel was smooth and quick. The staff is friendly. The reception area is on the ground floor level, but most of the rooms are on either the lower level or higher levels. There was no concierge to help with luggage and I had a room on the lower level. As with most hotels in Amsterdam, there is no elevator, and the staircase is steep and narrow. I really struggled to take my large luggage downstairs. The staff offered to help and without their help; I am not sure I would have been able to take my luggage down.
The room offerings
The Canal Residence Hotel is a small four-star hotel with 7 hotel rooms and 2 luxury suites. Each room offers similar facilities, including:
- Luxury bathroom with a rain shower and a whirlpool bathtub
- Minibar with some free drinks and snacks
- Safety deposit box – large enough for a laptop
- Hair dryer
- Nespresso machine
- LCD television
- Blu-ray DVD player
- Free WiFi
Each room has either a city or canal view. The room options vary from the double room with a canal view to the deluxe quadruple room with a canal view. All the rooms have Hästens beds to give you a good night’s rest.
I stayed in a deluxe room with a canal view and just loved looking at the canals in the early mornings or late at night. Viewing water is always so relaxing.
Breakfast and the lounge bar
The bar is one of the best features of the hotel. The bar is located next to a canal and has large windows to make viewing the Amsterdam canal easy.
Breakfast is complimentary at the hotel and is served in the bar every morning. There is a fixed menu with several options you choose from. This is lovely as they make your breakfast to order, which is lovely but can take quite long when many guests eat breakfast at the same time. I tried a different breakfast each day I was staying at the hotel and found them all delicious. Your choices for breakfast include pancakes, scrambled eggs, fresh croissants, fruits, omelette and a variety of other options. They even have sparkling wine if you want a “fancy” breakfast.
Every afternoon, the hotel provides free drinks and snacks in the bar. I loved the vibe in the bar in the afternoons when everyone showed up for the snacks and drinks!
Amsterdam Canal Residence reviews
The Amsterdam Canal Hotel gets excellent reviews on all the booking sites. The Tripadvisor reviews of the Amsterdam Canal Residence highlights the following benefits of the hotel:
- the complimentary drinks and snacks
- the jacuzzi bathtubs in the rooms
- the free goodies in the minibar
- the delicious breakfast
- the convenience of the Nespresso coffee machines in the rooms
- the excellent location
- the beautiful views of the canals from the rooms with a canal view
Some negatives mentioned in reviews of the hotel included:
- The steep staircase and the fact that there is no elevator
- There were signs of wear and tear in the rooms
- Noise if your room is near the stairs
You can book a stay at the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel here: TripAdvisor | Hotels.com |Hotellook
Tips for your stay at the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel
Keep the following in mind when you book your stay at the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel:
- Don’t book the downstairs room if you have large pieces of luggage. Large suitcases do not fit on the staircase.
- Don’t book the downstairs room if you cannot sleep while there are ongoing kitchen and laundry noise.
- Make use of the complimentary snacks and drinks in the afternoon – it is so worth it!
- The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the sights and restaurants you should visit while visiting Amsterdam – chat with them before finalising your sightseeing plans.
- Take a walk early in the morning to take some gorgeous photos of the canals around the hotel.
- The hotel also offers a free canal boat tour, but it is popular and gets fully booked quickly. Be sure to ask about this boat tour as soon as you check-in to improve your chances of getting a spot onboard!
- If you like a quick or quiet breakfast, go early!
Compare hotels and AirBnBs in Amsterdam’s Pijp area
Consider these hotels and AirBnBs if you are looking for accommodation near the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel.
Will I stay at the Amsterdam Canal Residence Hotel again?
I loved this hotel. The location is excellent. It is near supermarkets, restaurants and tram stops. I loved exploring Amsterdam from this area. Although I loved my room, it was next to the kitchen and the laundry area, both quite noisy during the day and mealtimes. I will stay at this hotel again, but I will ask for a room on one of the other levels. Other than that, it was close to perfect!