I was looking for a hotel near the main train station, Amsterdam Centraal, in Amsterdam when I discovered the A-train Hotel. I spent one night at this hotel. Here is my review of my stay at the A-Train hotel in Amsterdam.
Directions from Amsterdam’s central station to A-Train Hotel
Getting from Amsterdam Centraal station to the A-Train hotel is easy. The hotel is located diagonally opposite Amsterdam’s main train station. When you leave the main train station on foot, it will take you between 6 and 10 minutes to get to the A-Train Hotel. During your walk there, you have to cross several roads and tram lines, but it is an easy walk, even with heavy luggage.
If you are looking for activities in and around Amsterdam, look at the following blog posts: I can highly recommend taking a night tour of the Amsterdam Canals - everything looks different at night! The Heineken Experience is another must-do activity in Amsterdam. You cannot miss the making of Dutch Wooden Shoes when you visit Amsterdam! Taking the ferry from the Netherlands to the UK is a unique experience that I can definitely recommend. Another hotel you can consider when you are in Amsterdam is the Amsterdam Canal Hotel.
What is special about the A-Train hotel in Central Amsterdam?
Apart from the amazing central location, the A-Train Hotel is unique as it has a train-theme. The A-train hotel is a 3-star hotel, near several shopping areas, restaurants and tourist attractions.
Facilities at the A-Train Hotel Amsterdam
The hotel offers free WiFi. The hotel also features a secure luggage storage facility, 24-hour check-in. A quite unique for Amsterdam, the hotel even has an elevator. The hotel has a free internet corner if you didn’t bring a laptop with you and need to check something on the internet.
The rooms at the A-Train Hotel Amsterdam
The A-Train hotel has 34 rooms – all non-smoking. Each room has a modern bathroom with a hair-drier. Each room also features a radio, desk, telephone, a laptop safe and airconditioning. The A-Train Hotel offers different types of rooms to choose from, including:
- Single rooms with the features mentioned
- Twin or double rooms with the basic features mentioned
- Triple rooms have three single beds with basic features.
- First class rooms are slightly fancier and have a view of Amsterdam’s central station. Each room includes either twin beds or a double bed. In addition to the basic features, each room offers coffee/tea making facilities and a fridge.
- Old Dutch Suites have a double bed and a private patio. Although smoking is not allowed in the hotel room, you can smoke on the private patio. These rooms have coffee/tea making facilities and a small fridge.
- Family rooms span across two floors. In addition to the basic features, these rooms have one double bed and two single beds. These rooms also have a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, coffee/tea making facilities. What is great about the family rooms is that they have a play corner with toys for children.
- Apartments span across two floors. The apartments are spacious with one double bed, three single beds and a small bed for a small child shorter than 1,5 m. Apartments offer the same features as the family rooms.
Breakfast at the A-Train Hotel
Breakfast is included in the room rate and is served near the Pullman Lounge between 7:00 and 10:00 each morning. The breakfast is a continental breakfast buffet with
- Drinks: a variety of coffees, teas, juices and hot chocolate
- Breads: White, dark, raisin bread – a toaster is also available if you prefer your bread toasted
- Dutch breakfast rusks
- Butter, margarine
- Different spreads: jams, honey, chocolate spread
- Boiled eggs
- Cereals and muesli
- Milk, yogurt
- Fresh vegetables and fruit
The Pullman Lounge highlights the train theme of the A-Train Hotel. There are many photos and other train-related decorations on the walls. One can probably spend quite a while browsing these photos.
A-Train Hotel Amsterdam reviews
The A-Train Hotel in Amsterdam, Netherlands, gets excellent reviews on the accommodation booking sites. The reviews for the A-Train Hotel on TripAdvisor show an average rating of 4 out 5. The A-Train Hotel reviews on Booking.com reveals an average rating of 8.6. Most reviewers highlighted the location as one of the best features of the hotel. Guests also found the rooms to be clean and well-equipped. Guests also enjoyed the continental breakfast which is included in the room’s price.
If you are interested in booking the A-Train Hotel, click on your preferred site: Booking.com |Hotels.com | Hotellook | Agoda | TripAdvisor
Compare the A-Train Hotel Amsterdam with other hotels and AirBnBs near the Amsterdam Centraal Station
Will I stay at the A-Train Hotel Amsterdam again?
Yes, I will. Firstly, the location near Amsterdam’s Centraal Station is the best. I was able to take a sightseeing cruise by crossing the road – it does not get better than that! If you want a hotel near the train station in Amsterdam, the A-Train Hotel is the one!
I found the hotel’s prices very reasonable. The rooms are not small and are comfortable. I stayed in a Dutch Suite and found it quite charming. The private patio was a luxury in a city like Amsterdam where outdoor space in a hotel is unusual. The breakfast was more than sufficient and the staff was friendly and helpful.