Most people like to set goals for themselves or update their bucket lists. I am very enthusiastic about both – to dream dreams is always a fun activity! Many people make use of a vision board to remind them regularly of their goals or bucket list items. If you have travel goals, such as visiting far-off places and doing adventurous activities, why not create a travel vision board? A travel vision board is a great tool you can use to keep your travel dreams alive!
This post contains affiliate links. We may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
What is a travel vision board?
A vision board is a concept that has become well known after the book, The Secret, came out a few years ago. It was not a new idea, but this book made it a buzzword. The Secret refers to the law of attraction, which states that you attract whatever you focus on.
A vision board is usually a poster board with pictures of what you want to do or achieve. It helps you visualise your dreams or goals by creating a visual reminder of these items. Some people do a vision board for a particular period, such as a year, while others do one for their longer-term wishlist items. For me, when my vision board focuses on a shorter period, such as one year, it becomes almost like a goal board, while the lifetime board is akin to a bucket list board.
A vision board for travelling is a great visualisation tool of your dream destinations, adventure activities, or things you would like to do or experience. The power of a vision board lies in reminding you constantly of your travel goals.
The purpose of a vision board for travelling
If you have never considered making a travel vision board, there are several reasons to create one:
- It helps you to remain focused and motivated when doing travel planning.
- Putting the vision board in a place that you see daily will always remind you of the places you want to visit. This can be a huge motivation when you need to save for a trip or take other actions to make the trips happen!
- When creating your board, choose the places and attractions you want to visit. This helps you clarify which destinations and attractions are a priority for you.
- Creating a vision board for travel is also a lot of fun! It requires you to dream of places to see and things to do, which requires creativity and is fun!
What is the focus of a travel vision board?
You can use a travel vision board in so many ways. You can use it for your dream vacation focusing on a single destination. In this case, you can include the attractions you want to see, foods you want to try and experiences you want to have in this travel destination. Creating a single destination vision board may increase your excitement for a future trip, but it also helps you to do proper planning for the trip by identifying what you will do while there.
Alternatively, you can create a travel vision board for your future travels. You can decide on planning for a one-year horizon or a five-year horizon. In this case, think of all the trips you may want to complete during your chosen period and add details to your vision board.
What should be on a vision board for travelling?
Your travel vision board should reflect your travel dreams and desires, also known as your travel bucket list. It should reflect your personality – you can be as creative as you like! You can include pictures of destinations you want to visit, attractions you want to see, or inspirational travel quotes! Anything goes. You need to create a board that will inspire you and keep you motivated, and you know best what type of content will achieve this.
A travel dream board is a perfect way to help you with goal setting for your travel plans. It is a great idea to have specific goals by including city names, images of people and travel images from your dream travel destinations. If you have always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, you can include an Eiffel Tower picture on your travel vision board. Perhaps you have dreamed of seeing the Northern Lights in person, be sure to add it to your vision board!
Format of your vision board
There are many ways to create a vision board for travel. Here are some options:
- You can create a physical travel board for travel by cutting out pictures of places you would like to visit from travel magazines or newspapers. You can also print photos from blogs and social media platforms, such as Instagram and Pinterest. Add travel quotes and interesting messages from magazine clippings to inspire you. Pin these to a corkboard or paste them on large cardboard which you can put on a wall.
- Another great option is creating a digital vision board for your travel goals. You have many options to choose from for digital versions of a travel vision board, including using a vision board app or a digital collage you can use as your phone or laptop’s wallpaper.
- Many people create a Pinterest board for their travel vision board. I also have one! I do not think it serves the purpose of such a vision board and a physical or digital travel vision board since you have to go to Pinterest to click on the board to view it. Seeing your board quickly and often makes Pinterest a better option for creating your bucket list, which you can update once in a while.
What do you need to create your own vision board for travel?
What you need depends on the type of vision board you are creating
- To create your own travel vision board in a physical form, you need craft supplies, such as poster board, glue sticks, magazine clippings and a pair of scissors! You may also choose to create or buy a push pin travel map to show your past and future travels using different colours of pins.
- For a digital vision board, you can use a variety of images, including high-quality stock photos showing inspirational images or even your own travel photos from previous trips. There are many useful apps to help you, including Canva, Picmonkey, Visme or VistaCreate to create your digital vacation vision board.
- You can use multiple vision board apps to create one or more online vision boards, including
Regardless of whether you make a physical or digital vision board, make sure it has a positive outlook with positive things, positive thoughts, and inspirational quotes.
How to use your travel vision board
If you don’t see your vision board often and easily, it will not serve its purpose. To fully utilise your travel vision board, whether it is a digital board or a physical vision board, you need to see it every single day!.
If you created a physical board, hang it in your bedroom or study area where you can see it when you get up in the morning or when you look up from working at your desk. Another great place to hang your travel vision board is in your living room, where most people spend a significant amount of their daily lives.
Some people create their vision boards for travel on a page in their planners or diaries. That way, they can see it daily when they use their planners or diaries.
The nice thing about a digital travel vision board is that you can take it with you! Save it as your wallpaper on your laptop, desktop, tablet and phone. Make sure it is visible in as many places as possible to ensure the best success possible. The pleasant thing about the digital version is that you can even use it as wallpaper on your work computer – no one will even know what you are staring at when you are looking at your computer screen!
You can put your travel vision board anywhere – the important thing is to keep it in a prominent place!
Fun ways to create a vision board
Creating a vision board is so much fun, why do it alone? You can have a great time if you involve a family member or friends by having a travel vision board party. You can have this at the beginning of a new year and let everyone create a new year vision board, but you can have this fun activity any time of the year to allow everyone to create a vision board for their bucket list destinations or dream vacations.